Friday 25 March 2011

Seven o'clock in the morning and I've been riding the overnight train

Commuter run. That time of year when it's very cold, misty and silent in the morning, and very warm, sunny and noisy as anything in the evening.

What to wear? Do I need to tell you? I made sure I had detachable arms, detachable legs, hats, anything that you can detach quite frankly. Clothes not anatomy. It is most definitely spring though, and it was delightful to be riding in weather that is other than cold, ice, wet, fog, grime, you get the message.

On the relatively flat way in, I crossed over a bridge near Flax Bourton just as a beautifully sleek high-speed train was going underneath. I thought about waving to the window as it went, but chose not to. Somebody might wave back.

Then it was up Belmont Hill, with the mist down below, and the rising sun just starting to burn it off, it was really enjoyable. Over the suspension bridge and into Clifton, I was meeting the Princess for her inaugural commute into work. She has a (imagine lip curl) mountain bike, with (grimace) panniers. Actually I hope she never gets a road bike, she's a natural. Imagine Contador without the clenbuterol and with the build of a woman. And English, long blond hair, OK nothing like Contador, but potential to kick my butt.

On the way home I decided to do Dundry Hill in the daylight for a change, and although I had to put my clear shades on towards the end, and I had to slow down going down Long Lane because a bus was blocking my way (it's my hill don't you know) it was a great ride home. Best of all the overall route has a delightful frying pan shape. And that has to be good news.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75029677

No comments: