Sunday 13 March 2011

The best you can do is to fake it

ACG time again today and my first ride since going back to work, and since the Mad March Hare last Sunday. I'd joked about being a coiled spring, but in reality I felt more like a coiled slug. After a heavy lunch, no, after lots of heavy lunches. Because, dear readers I am carrying a bit too much extra baggage after the winter. Bunny was kind enough to imply some of it may be muscle, and that is true, as my waist is about the same size, but this year I have lacked a bit of discipline to avoid the metaphorical sausages.

It was also the first outing of the year for the Red Madone (OK, I give in, my inner pedant has won over my desire to be idiosyncratic), given the front mechanical mess that is Kinetic 1 at the moment. I'd dropped the latter off for a full Spring service at Leadman's LBS yesterday, so out came the Trek today. Bit of getting used to, especially the saddle, but a pretty good alternative I'd say.

We made quite a peloton (I have totally capitulated here) today, seven of us in total. Doc, on his first outing for a while, Skip, Boots, Shipham MTBman, and his two MTB mates, Figgy (because despite his diminutive and almost Moss-like frame, [less attractive, considerably less attractive, but equally skeletal] he never stopped eating, in particular a packet of fig rolls flapping out of his back pocket) and Broadway Danny Rose. (You'll work it out). The official start of Spring is not until 21st March, but today's weather was decidedly Spring-like.

I had suggested some hills, so it was up the gorge, with Figgy disappearing into the distance, and I found it harder than usual. We re-formed and bombed across the top, through Priddy and then down the Old Bristol Road into Wells. From there we went up through the Horringtons, which was as painful as it sounds for me, with Figgy disappearing into the distance. You can see the pattern can't you?

Once on the top again, it was a short hop to another new cafe, Hartley's cafe bistro (according to itself) on the B3135 between the A37 and A39. We briefly debated the five criteria for my cafe of the year competition, and yes, I do intend to seek feedback from others. It's a nice place, bit of a lack of cake, but reasonably-priced bacon sandwiches more than made up for it. It also has a farm shop, with some interesting cider, but no way it could fit into my jersey pocket.

Anyway, my criteria are:

1. Value for money (not the cheapest, but the best value)
2. Cleanliness (includes toilets)
3. Friendliness and service, and how cycle-friendly they are
4. Quality of food and drink, and range and particularly how good is the cake?
5. General ambiance and quirkiness, eco-friendly, landscape views, ethics etc.

If you don't like it, start your own contest!

Once out of the cafe, despite the sunshine, I was a bit cold, perhaps because we started with the descent of the fabulously-named Binegar Bottom. Down through Chewton Mendip, then Litton and East Harptree, we then hit that particular hill, and it was here I felt I was going backwards. Figgy disappeared into the distance, then Boots disappeared into the distance, and my legs felt like they were made of lead.

This got worse and worse as we formed a group across the Mendips, and then down from Tynings Farm to descend Shipham gorge. The stats are quite good given all the climbing, but I feel shattered, which is amazing given I haven't ridden for a week. But, and it was a big but, the "G" stands for Group, and sometimes you can't make it on your own, and I must say I really enjoyed being out with the Group today, a really friendly bunch, and a jolly good ride.

As predicted West Ham have just been knocked out of the FA Cup, so I can now go and slump on the sofa for a couple of hours. Bring on the Lions......

http://connect.garmin.com/player/72799601

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72799601



PS There must be a better way to post these links, if anyone knows, can they let me know please....:-)

3 comments:

Skip said...

try typing in the html

eg:
cycling mayor website

which is
text to click on

i think blogger allows html tags...

SteepEndDown said...

Like the beard...gives me something to hang on to.

SteepEndDown said...

"Like the beard...gives me something to hang on to"