Saturday 5 March 2011

Put on the bright suit Billy, head for the right side of town

While I have your attention I'd just like to mention the Black Rat Challenge in Bristol on 22nd May. Last year I entered this sportive (see my entry 16 May last year) and despite the damp weather I had a great time. The route has been improved for this year so give it a go. I have a conflict of interest, it's West Ham's last game of the season, unless they get to the Cup Final (and by raising the possibility I now know it won't happen), and if it's make or break time I may have to go, we'll see.

I think it is a great test to ride all your ,local hills in one go, we wouldn't normally do that, and by entering to force yourself to conquer them i think. Besides there's the camaraderie of strangers....and the honour of the ACG!

But Jeremy, the organiser of the Black Rat, did something amazingly kind today and replaced the glass tankard I got as a souvenir from last year. My son drinks out of it, although he's not onto the cider just yet. Given the family history it's only a matter of time, but the original tankard got smashed, and Jeremy gave me, in fact made a journey to give me, two replacements. Well, with kindness like that I think I'll have to enter his sportive now.

Speaking of rats I was in a bit of rat trap myself last night if the rumours about the establishment I was in are true. I'm now over this morning's hangover, and it has a vague connection to cycling in that I rode into Bristol last night, and home this morning, for my boss's leaving do. It was a very surreal occasion I can tell you (the do not the ride), but I'm not sure it's the idea carbo-loading for tomorrow's Mad March Hare. We'll see.

It's been great to be on holiday and ride during the week, in daylight, even if it has been a bit chilly. So yesterday afternoon as the last hurrah of that before I go back to work next week. The season starts now....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71323196

No comments: