Wednesday 7 September 2011

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

I can't really complain about today's weather. After buzzing around from "white cloud" to "sunny intervals" to "sunshine and showers", the weather forecast for this afternoon and evening settled on "heavy rain" at about 2.30PM. And very strong headwinds.

So I knew what I was in for, and I have been remarkably fortunate with weather in the last few weeks, Col de Mente being the exception. I was even vaguely sartorially prepared, with my ACG jacket, which has a windproof front, and a modicum of water repellency. I did my best to go up as many hills in a direct a route as possible, to use Bunny's example and get my core temperature up. And I aimed for lanes with a high tree line for a bit of shelter, but this just meant I was cycling in cow poo as well as rain and a roaring gale.

Partly because of the fundamental principle of Rule 5, or V, as it is now being called by the Velominati, and partly because I was wondering how the cyclists of yesterday would cope with all the modern gadgetry we have nowadays. Very well, I'd say, because they seemed a tougher breed in those days. I'm reading a book about Hinault (who seemed a tough nut) and Greg LeMond (perhaps less so, bit more fancy dan).

Then there is this man, Fiorenzo Magni. Fell on the Giro in 1956 and broke his clavicle, but carried on. In the picture he is using his teeth to get leverage through the inner tube whilst cycling a mountainous stage. He could only use one hand to brake on the descent, fell again and broke his shoulder, but still carried on to finish second overall.

There are definitely no more heroes like him anymore, with the possible exception of Jens Voight.

So no complaining from me, I'm looking forward to a more sedate weekend, where I'll get my first trip to watch the prima donnas of the footballing world this season, and then the annual ACG extravaganza at Sweets. Bring your spare inner tubes, just in case.

No comments: