Wednesday 14 September 2011

I see someone that I thought I used to know

"Just look at all of us", said the Measurer, about halfway through the match, "we're all so old!"

He was laughing as he said it, but he was right. It was the first time I had played football in over a year, and I thought the personnel for Monday night six a side might half changed. Not a bit of it, and it was great to hook up with some old faces, and as I struggled to adjust to the pace, and the fact that all the muscles I have from cycling are absolutely blooming useless in football, I reflected that I'd been a part of this fixture for just over ten years.

In that time people have come and gone, but there are some who were there before me, and there is a core of regulars who still turn out. The average age must be over 35 by now, and let's just say the pace, although still reasonable, isn't quite what it was. Especially in my case after about 35 minutes. More crocked than the end of the rainbow, it was painful and embarrassing. I was rubbish.

Another anniversary is looming. Next week it's the 40th anniversary of my first match at West Ham, watching not playing, obviously. We beat Stoke 2-1 in that game by the way, my Dad took me as a birthday treat. Don't feel you have to buy me anything, I'm nobody's child anymore, I can take it. Peace and quiet, that would be a great present at the moment, although as me and miniMR are off to a match, that's unlikely.

Friday this week will see our annual ACG outing to watch the Tour of Britain, although it threatens to be the last as Somerset County Council is strapped for cash and unless they find that rainbow, it looks like their sponsorship of a stage is going to finish. I think the riders must be experiencing culture shock, what with the state of the roads and the awful weather. Even Jens Voight fell off and abandoned, although he did have a very painful finger fracture.

When the Tour de France comes to town, the municipality considers it a great honour. Fresh tarmac is laid, the road widened, and just about everyone turns out to watch. In England the locals will complain about the road closure and sprinkle tacks all over the road, (well for the Etape Caledonia anyway) and I don't think Cheddar gorge has been resurfaced. Still, let's hope we can turn it into the Alpe d'Huez of Somerset on Friday, look out for me in my mankini!

It was very windy again today, on the way back from work anyway, and a beautiful morning on the way in. I'm riding on the cusp of darkness at both ends of the day now, lights on and the start and finish. At least there was sunshine, and mist, and sunset, even if I'm still looking for the rainbow, to go with my crocked calves from Monday night football.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/114373677

No comments: