Sunday 18 September 2011

May you build a ladder to the stars

This week is going to be a week of goodbyes.

I rode the Cheddar cyclosportive today for the third time today, making it my most ridden sportive (not that there is much competition, not that it is a competition, although I'm sure I could make it one). In 2009 I did the full 100 miles distance, this year, as last, I contented myself with the 100km ride. Although I'm not particularly content about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great event, exceptionally well-organised, great route, a few short and sharp climbs, and some great company.

But the weather was atrocious, a strong north-westerly breeze which fractured the field and made groups hard to form, and lots of rain falling out of the sky, as well as up from the road. Copious puddles, lots of gravel, mud, stones etc. etc. Makes you stronger and all that.

I rode fairly conservatively, as I was planning on doing the full distance. I hooked up with a nice chap from Exeter as we worked together over the levels into the wind, and we were joined from time to time by others, either faster or slower. I even stopped at the feedstop in East Brent, in preparation for a longer ride, but five miles before the split point, the heavens open again, just as I was drying out from the last soaking, and so I decided to head back home.

I was about 30 minutes slower than last year, partly because I was on the front so much, and partly because until the last few miles I was riding as if I was going to do 100 miles. I had asked this chap if he wanted to work together, only to find myself waiting for him. It was also a bit grotty out there, and of course the feedstop must have added a few minutes. Still my official time was just inside four hours and my cycling speed was respectable so I'm not downhearted.

I have done a fair amount of miles this week, and of course the game of football last Monday that meant I couldn't walk properly until Thursday! Mrs Mendip Rouleur suggested my skin was looking a bit dry, and that to combat the ageing process I should give some fancy Vitamin E soap a go. Honestly, I'll be wearing a sarong next. But cycling keeps me forever young I retorted, as long as I don't overcook it.

There are a few bits and pieces to finish this year, the Etape Cymru and a couple of other targets. But I'm actually planning (gasp, yes it's true) to take things to another level, if resources and time allows. On a number of fronts, including work, where pastures new beckon at the beginning of October. So it will be goodbye, a bientot, au revoir, etc. this week, before a week of planning and scheming the week after.

I'm leaving some great people behind, I'll miss them, but I'll not be far away. And just as I will carry the last three years of cycling into the future (more on this in the next few months) I've learned so much from all the people I've worked with. In many ways.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115264706

No comments: