Sunday 5 December 2010

Something interesting for the weekend

Last night was the ACG Christmas bash. If I was a psychologist, and interestingly someone at work recently told me I should be one (not sure if this was a compliment, given I work in a law firm), or an anthropologist, I'd be able to write my whole PhD. thesis on the events of last night. One title might be "The dichotomies (just for you) of social groups within a class-based society" or maybe, "The effect of romantic comedy on relationships clouded by grief".

But, I am neither of those things, and after my last few posts I am in danger of disappearing inside my biological exit, and gazing out, in a zen-like fashion, from the hole left by the umbilical attachment. Enough. CYCLING IS BACK.

I was challenged by Knight of the Realm to make sure my blog stays interesting, if I don't grab him in the first few lines he switches over to Youtube to watch re-runs of Strictly Come Dancing or some such guff, so I hope you're still here. Mrs Mendip Rouleur found the conversation slightly tedious last night, so I was very grateful for the grace that she showed in humouring us all for so long. This morning she was off to church bright and early, (it's a long story), which partially delayed our Provisional ACG ride start time until 10.30AM. Given the religious theme-a blessing in disguise.

So my priorities for today:

1. To ride my bike, outside on the road
2. To stay upright
3. To stay warm
4. To enjoy the company
5. To enjoy the ride

Mrs MR arrived back to tell me it was a bit icey on our road, it doesn't get sunshine between November and February and the temperature was -2C. Still once on the main road down to Axbridge I convinced myself it would be fine on the levels, what with the nascent sunshine and all. I met a very sceptical Skip, together with Boots and we headed off towards Cheddar, picking up the Communicator on the way.

We were due to meet a 16 year old cyclist Skip had somehow taken under her wing, in Cheddar. The meeting, not the other stuff. As he was a bit late I cycled up and down a bit to keep warm, and because if I did that he was bound to turn up when I wasn't in sight. Which he duly did. Off we went towards Wedmore.

As we dropped down onto the levels the fog enveloped us in its freezing moistness. Our new Schleck lookalike has joined Tor 2000 cycling club, I think we may be a sort of academy feeder system for them. They get their newbies to ride with the old codgers, teach them a few old tricks (wheelsucking for example, we were great at that today, me particularly), before they develop a stellar career as a racer. He was good. When he wasn't shivering to death for lack of clothes, or crashing into the curb, or trying to work out why he wasn't dropping the grey-hairs and the baldies.

By the time we got to Glastonbury, having safely negotiated some decidedly slippery roads, we were all covered in frozen condensation. Hilarious. Too cold to sit outside the cafe, we retreated to the warmth of two pieces of cake for pound, and a few anxious looks from yours truly at the local spliff-rollers trying to walk straight outside. I, of course, was worried about the bikes being nicked, until I realised they could barely stand up straight, never mind work out the complexities of SPD-SL pedals.

On our way back we opted for the safety of a gritted main road, although this had a few drawbacks due to the increasing intensity of the traffic. Just before Wedmore one cut in front of Boots and he admirably flicked the driver the Vs, perhaps my favourite gesture, and one that is fading fast from popular use in favour of, err, others. We even manged a cursory sprint, the Communicator came charging past me at a rate of knots at one point, aided by his weight loss. What with the Knight doing all this exercise recently, and looking very lean, I am going to have to work hard to keep up.

Back in the square I was plain exhausted and a bit spaced out. I have things on my mind if truth be told. Things that can not be committed to a forum like this, involving work, home, my soul and obviously cycling. The latter all boils down to a sense of anti-climax mixed in with a lack of focus. I also feel a bit flabby not having ridden for a while. But I achieved all of my objectives for the day, and best of all was reminder about the "G", I was pretty good though wasn't I?

I am aiming to hit 5000 miles for the year, with today's 41-odd I'm now down to 136.13 miles to go. Only blizzard conditions will stop me, and then I'll get the MTB out, grit a stretch of our road and cycle up and down it for Christmas. That'll be different.

Finally a big thank you to Bunny for his present to me on my birthday. When people gives socks as a present it usually means dull, unimaginative etc. Not these socks. I wore them today for the first time and they kept my toes splendidly toasty. How blessed I am with my friends, just need him to extend those blessings to a few other areas now.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58849204

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

"The dichotomies of social groups within a class-based society" or maybe, "The effect of romantic comedy on relationships clouded by grief"???? Wow. Maybe I should have been paying more attention! Now I'm curious as hell! *grin*

and your wordy thing has just made me type in fogid. which seems oddly appropriate given today's conditions...