Monday 20 December 2010

Risk

I once had a small framed poster on my desk, as was the fashion at the time. Inside waas a pretentious picture of two baseball players, one about to catch the ball, the other about to make the base. The caption, and the point, as if it needed labouring, was this: "you can't make second base while you've still get your foot on first".

I thought about cycling to work tomorrow. But the A38 is covered in ice and slush, and I mean covered, not just the sides. I'm all for risk-taking, but I like my shoulders un-dislocated. I speak from experience, I've tried the dislocated version and I don't want to risk it again.

So I'll just have to find something else. I had some very nice feedback today. I liked it particularly because i tried something new and it seemed to work and it was effective. A bit like pushing your outside foot and your inside hand down as you go into a corner. It looks good in all the advice columns but you don't really know if it will work until you give it a go.

Last week I made a very bold and foolish statement on these pages, you know the one? About a blizzard and a two week frost. And 11.82 miles was in there too, it's everywhere else. Be careful what you wish for, even what you don't wish for, in fact anything to do with wishes? Be careful, they are very dangerous things. Because everyone is telling me I can't cycle at the moment and I feel like that moth flitting around the flame, just waiting for the final piece of instinct before plunging in.

I'm still thinking about next year, and I'm going to blog my goals after the first January ride. Take a few risks maybe.

But first I have the 11.82 to sort. and it's getting me down. Have you noticed? And I know 35 of you have, unless I have one person looking at the site 35 times since i put the counter on the site at the weekend. So I decided to manage my mood. And yours. And this clip is truly, truly amazing in that it combines my favourite song, with my favourite athlete. Have a look and be uplifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Ebwx4bXDw&feature=related

No comments: