Sunday 19 December 2010

Room 101


Because it's the 101st post obviously.

If you have read the book, and if Orwell could have imagined it, like I am imagining it, it would be a room full of the following, a huge widescreen TV, the volume turned up quite loud, but with no buttons or remote control, and your own worst programme on wraparound, for ever. Forget about a boot trampling on a human face, because this room would have impenetrable walls, except for a small window, which could not be opened. The glass is so thick that you can just see out, but you could never break, or escape from, it.

Outside the window is a bicycle.

But every cloud and all that. At some point last night, towards the end of a bottle of Shiraz, Skip and I exchanged texts and arranged to meet for a walk up to Crook Peak.

So I got to faff about what to wear after all, and dolled up in walking boots (old and full of hole, and now salt-encrusted) coat, base layer, and even water=proof socks. Just like old times, even gaiters.

The place was dererted and I think we saw about 3 pedestrians as we walked to the top of Wavering Down, putting the world to rights and speculating whether this weather will ever end. (Did you see what I did there? Very pleased with that).

Eventually we returned home by another route, via Compton Bishop and Cross, Axbridge and the bit of the Strawberry Line that goes through the tunnel. Well I did the tunnel bit anyway, specifically because I was being told by an elf from Safety that I couldn't. The icicles were pretty spectacular it is true, and if one had fallen on my head it would have hurt, but we should be encouraged to take risks for the chance to see something that stunningly beautiful, shouldn't we?

Still stuck on 11.82. Skip is going to get a chainring tattoo at the end of next season, as a way of marking (pun intended) her forthcoming achievements. Never had a tattoo myself, but I am contemplating having that number inscribed somewhere where I can see it, as a reminder of patience, hubris, pride, perspective, beauty, honesty, and well, because when you know, you know.

11.82........

No comments: