Monday 2 August 2010

Running on empty

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42902105

What a treat a Monday commuting run. Now it's August and we are past the height of summer, so to be up and ready to go at around 6.15AM was slightly surprising. Especially given yesterday's hill work and late night. The daylight is now a bit later in coming, there is a dampness to the air and it won't be long before I'm rooting around for the long tights. Cycling tights. Just clarifying.

I had a bit of a clothes clear-out at the weekend. Got rid of loads of stuff I don't wear and freed up some space for my cycling kit to occupy. Mrs MMAM says it's the only fashion I'm bothered about which is certainly true. I am pleased to report I also donated a couple of old bib-shorts, winter longs and some mitts that I no longer wear to the charity shop. Make a very nice starter pack for someone converting to the road.

Speaking of conversions I think mine is pretty much complete judging by the events of today. For years and years I played football on a Monday night, six a side, lots of enthusiasm, not much talent. Much like my cycling. Plenty of goal-hanging though. I absolutely loved it. (As a side issue young junior MMAM won the Headmaster's prize for "Sporting Endeavour" at prize-giving in June. The Head, when giving his speech said "he'll never be the greatest at any sport, but he has a go at all of them with much gusto and joie de vivre". I was so proud.)

Earlier this year Mrs MMAM took a job in London so the football got put on ice. Now she is working at home on some Mondays and two weeks ago I did dust down (literally) the astro boots and banged a couple in from two yards. But today, I decided to get up with the lark, clip in and make like Cancellara. Only slower, obviously.

Not only that, but I also gave away a set of MTB tyres to a colleague at work, who is commuting on knobblies and wants to go a bit faster. I used them for the Coast-to-Coast back in 2008 and never tired (pun intended) of reminding everyone of how much lower my rolling resistance was. They all thought I was hilarious I'm sure (oops a bit of 1940s John Mills has just crept in, and no mistake), as they pedalled off into the distance.

So today's commute. I felt a bit sluggish as i said, but surprisingly I was quicker on the way in than I was on Friday, when I was as fresh as a daisy. Must have been the Monday commuters in cars, I'm sure there was a different vibe to the driving today, bit more urgent and impatient. I was starving when I got to work, spent the day eating, or so it seemed, but despite this I felt really light-headed on the way home as I struggled up the A38 into a stiff headwind, over the shoulder of the hill near the airport.

I stopped just outside Felton and ate a gel. The ones with caffeine in them. I hope they never make them a banned substance, it was like lighting the blue touch paper, stand well clear. Heading down the the hill towards Wrington I was about to see how fast you can go into a headwind when an oncoming bus reminded me that these lanes are quite narrow. Even so, I had got the average speed up to a respectable level by the time I got home.

After I finish this I'm going online to order a few bits and bobs to break in before I go to France, gloves, socks, that sort of thing. Maybe a new helmet as the lining on mine is falling to pieces and the straps are giving me a rash on the neck. Got to be done.

One final thought, if you haven't already, please can you sponsor me-I'm cycling down to Land's End over three days at the end of September, for a Bristol Hospital charity. It will almost certainly be three days of westerly gales and misery, make it worthwhile by parting with your cash. Please.

Charlie stats at the top.

No comments: