Friday 20 August 2010

At least I haven't got to ride tomorrow

I'm sorry, I have no imagination left today, having used some up at work, and then left all the rest of my energy on the hills of North Somerset. So the title reflects how i feel, although to whinge a bit more, it could also be "How to get a posture-derived headache through your eye socket", or how to ensure you are as stiff as a board for a drive to London tomorrow".

I must go and stretch, so this will be short. I didn't really fuel up properly given that a ride to work and back consumes about 2000 calories. Having done it yesterday, I decided to push myself up all the hills in both directions, and despite eating manfully at work today, I was pretty tired on the way home. My neck is going to need some treatment before France (I have it booked in for just before I go), but the good news is my legs are not too sore. I know the hills around here are nothing like the length of the ones in the Pyrenees, but they are steeper, or at least some of them are. I have to eat for England, or France, or somewhere, to ensure I have the energy levels to get up them.

Anyway, trip today included Long Lane on the way in, with a secondary up to Felton, and then Dundry Hill and Redhill on the way back, the latter climbed from Chew Stoke for a change. Roads covered with grit and mud so I washed the bile. The bottom bracket is gone, the wheels need truing and I think it needs a new headset. Obviously having a new bike comes in handy as I'm going to take K-1 for a service, hoping it will be back in time for me to ride it down to Land's End at the end of September.

I am also going to stop swearing at bad driving. I am, really. I am going to give a pound to my charity every time I do it, and I'll rely on my companions to remind me of this pledge.

I was also even more cautious today than yesterday, so despite hitting a top speed over over 40mph (in the wet too, what was I thinking?), my overall speed was slow. Still, we did have that favourite wind on the return leg-south west strong!

I have a tentative plan to do a century ride over as many hills as I can on Sunday. Then taper for the following two weeks and focus on sleep, which I am lacking at the moment as there seems to be so much to do. Right now it's all on top of me, and, dear reader, if you are there, I need some encouraging words, having used my own on everyone around me at the moment. I took something personally at work, so I know I'm a bit "resource light". Did I just type that? I really need to go to bed.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45367789

1 comment:

Skip said...

You do know you're over-doing it right? More focusing on looking forward to what you're going to be doing is required - remember - this is supposed to be fun! :)