Friday 6 August 2010

New Stuff

As reported on these pages I have bought lots of stuff this week, and most of it has arrived. First there were some replacement gel gloves, the old ones being worn out. Then some summer cycling socks, that have that horrible srcatchy feeling against the skin, but if they keep my feet cool in the mountains I'll wear them. I have also bought a new, coolmax, UV-protective Buff (for the pirate-look, which is making a comeback), in my favourite cycling colour, to keep my shiney head free of sunburn and insect stings.

I had a long conversation with Bunny yesterday and we are both like kids looking forward to Christmas, and we talked through various options and plans. In the course of the conversation I did my usual rant about Italian kit (all style no function, that kind of thing). So of course I fully deserve all the ribbing I can take, and more, for the fact that I had ordered a new Italian helmet (by Kask) without realising it. For once, it does look and feel like the business though. And of course it is in red too.

I also can't let the week go by without mentioning our new offices. Absolutely fantastic they are too. Although very stylish, they are not opulent, everything is very minimalist. And the facilities for cyclists are even better than in our old place, and all logically laid out too. I have managed to cajole our security chap in to giving me one of the first lockers-I have number 2, which made me laugh as my cycling is sometimes compared to the same- and I am hoping to be one of the first people to cycle to work there next Friday.

So today was a commute, with a light tailwind and bags of energy on the way in, and a very strong south-westerly headwind on the way home, mixed with some hill-work. Pretty uneventful except I nearly got taken out again on Wrington Hill as i was descending. That's the second week running, I may have to avoid it, can't afford any injuries now. With the RP only 4 weeks away there would be no time to recover. Although Franck Schleck is riding the Vuelta apparently.

Overall average speed is pretty good, I have had a pretty busy week at work so I guess I should be pleased with the return leg too, it was a tough wind, honestly.

Stats here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43410603

Sunday sees me off to the Cotswolds to ride a sportive. I'm hoping to hook up with some of the people I'm doing the charity ride down to Land's End with in September. If you haven't sponsored me yet, PLEASE DO SO NOW! It's for the charity that supports Bristol's oncology centre, you can read about it on my justgiving page below:

http://www.justgiving.com/Guy-Buckland

No comments: