Friday 23 July 2010

Up and Down

Commuting run report, and I'm out with the ACG tomorrow as well. I played football on Monday night for the first time in months, made the foolish mistake of not stretching afterwards, and was stiff as a post for days as a result. I just have the slight remnants of the cold as well, and of course being back at work after a week on the beach is a shock to the system!

So I can officially tell you it took 14.89 miles of the 20.5 trip on the way in before I started to enjoy cycling. Once I got over that hurdle I could have gone on all day. Although the morning was a bit damp and misty, it was actually quite good cycling weather, and I was finding a bit of form, despite the slight headwind.

For the run home, the day had turned into a warm and summery one, with a fair amount of sunshine, so I could tell the hills were going to be tough. They were. Still, in for a penny I thought, and I decided to head up through Hartcliffe of all places, before swinging round and up Dundry Hill. It averages about 10%, but peaks at 17% on the hairpins, so I could pretend it was the Tourmalet, albeit about 10 times shorter.

From there I headed down to Winford, passed its eponymous Manor and down to the fabulously named Butcombe. The unfortunate things about that lane are the copious amounts of potholes, gravel and sharp corners, meaning a slow descending speed.

There must have been another penny in that pound pocket because I decided to head over to Blagdon and up past Yeo Valley (yes, that road) to the top of Burrington Coombe. It was pretty hot by now, and turned into one of those climbs where you can't quite believe there are no more gears to click into.

Still, once up on the hill, the views were lovely and the descent down the Coombe was cracking. A fast dash back through Langford, Sandford and Winscombe and I was home in time for the TdF highlights.

Charlie has recorded the route and profiles, but not all of the speeds for the return leg, take it from me, it was not quick!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41522035

No comments: