Saturday 24 July 2010

"Men? They are all the same........childish!"

Before I get onto the title of this post, a few words about our Axbridge Cycling Group Ride. And the pseudonyms that populate it. I had to placate The Captain today, that his sobriquet has nothing to do with purveyors of quality fish products. It's because his daughter is Skip, and he owns a boat. I'm also at a loss for names for a few others. JG and IC for example, both of whom were on board today, how can I continue this naming business without risking the risk of the naming being misconstrued?

Let's leave them for another day, the Prince of Orange on the other hand was back with his Princess, together with JG, they formed a medium group, while Skip, the Captain, me and IC, formed a faster group on our trip out to Glastonbury.

Our usual route, our usual cafe and we joined forces for a very entertaining and convivial coffee and cake once we got there. The Prince is of course from Holland, and has upgraded his kit and bike to a more modern hue. In some ways this is a disappointment, but his riding style and bearing are still as elegant and regal as ever, and I can't wait to ride alongside him again and hear his stories of how he cycled all over Europe for sure in his younger days.

There was another Dutchman outside the cafe, on a tour of Britain, and quite possibly the world judging by the volume of his stuff on his bike. Front panniers, back panniers, side panniers, he told me he'd been down to southern Spain, across Canada and "you know, seeing the world my friend". His sturdy bike, complete with butterfly bars and stand stood there proudly as he took his time over his coffee, he was still there when we left. And the coolest thing was the Prince of Orange didn't see any need to speak to a fellow countryman, and why would you?

Skip and I bickered about the route back, leaving to much banter about "like a pair of kids" or " like a married couple". Someone at work was talking about "work-wives" this week, and I have to say it paints a poor picture of matrimony if being married is all about squabbling. It was my 12th wedding anniversary yesterday, and I have to say I did good work. Some surprise earrings, some Lush vouchers, promise of a holiday to an exotic place, and I even tried that listening and empathy thing. Seemed to work too, maybe it will catch on and become a habit. I was genuinely delighted with my car being valeted and filled with diesel (the diesel tank, it wasn't some weird revenge thing, like puncturing my tyres or loosening bottle cages, or cutting up suits), but the big surprise will be unveiled in a couple of weeks.

Let's just say it's beautifully styled, light, easy on the eye, and comes with Ultegra and a compact chain set and some tax relief. And the Texan won a few races on one. If Gordon Brown did nothing else then we must all thank him for the Cyclescheme. In fact, we should forgive him wasting billions of pounds of taxpayers money, squabbling with Blair, the surly manner and poor leadership, and even the refusal to admit he could possibly be wrong about anything. He gave us the 1999 Finance Act and for that all cyclists should be grateful. I tell you if Cameregg and cronies remove this there will be revolution on the streets of Winscombe.

I think the lemon cake didn't quite cut it on replenishing the lost calories. As we headed back over the levels Skip did her thing on the front, blimey she should be in today's Bordeaux time-trial. Eventually I cracked and sat up, had a gel and waited for a junction to slow her down. Eventually we formed up again, heading back through Blackford and Clewer, down the sprinters' road.

Of course she had done almost an hours pull on the front by now, and the gel was well and truly working its magic. About 200 yards from the bend I burst through to sprint into Cheddar first. Selfish, ungrateful, and for sure, childish. The three re-grouped and I sailed on to Axbridge to wait for them, a hollow event and I really need to stop my imagination thinking I am in the Tour. It's the Axbridge Cycling Group! In the next few weeks we will have our own kit. While everyone else popped to Skip's house to choose their size, I had done so earlier, I toddled off back home, looping through the village and climbing Winscombe Hill to finish. Once the effects of the gel wore off I could hardly stand up, still a few hills tomorrow anyone?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41602723

No comments: