Sunday 1 May 2011

Too slow to notice what's wrong

A few weeks ago Skip and I were going to do this hilly ride over to Bruton and back, for some reason we decided to go to Glastonbury instead. I think I was tired or it was raining or something. So today, after the 84th Bank holiday of the year, and all family duties fulfilled we both found ourselves with an opportunity, or a window, and probably because we are both getting very bored of doing the same routes, we resurrected the Bruton loop.

First up was Shipham Hill, then along to Charterhouse, across the top of the Mendips and down to Chewton Mendip past the Waldegrave estate. Then we wiggled about a bit, eventually descending on the main road into Shepton, before peeling off on back roads, down another marvellous descent into Evercreech, and over the big hill north of, and into Bruton.

The coffee place on the high street looked fab, only there was nowhere to put our bikes, so we bumbled on through Ditcheat, Wraxhall Hill and across the lumps and bumps near Pilton, skirted Wells and ended up and Sweets.  Where I had a lovely bacon sandwich, and Skip had a walnut and carrot cake, or death on a plate as the atopic me calls it. Well it was lunchtime by now.

Fuelled by strong coffee we made good time on the remaining, largely flat route home.  From there it was a short blast back through Wedmore and Clewer and back home. By the time I made it home my total mileage was about 65 miles, with just over 5000 feet of climbing, and all done at an average of 15 mph. Surprisingly. I say this because there was plenty of climbing, and descending on dry gravelly and unknown roads, so it was wasn't always possible to go flat out.


Here are two sequences of dates that depress me. 1932, 1978, 1989, 1992, 2003 and almost certainly 2011. I'm typing this because I can't stand the pain of the inevitability of watching the Irons go down again. But it's gonna happen, almost certainly if form and history are anything to go by. And there is nothing I can do about it. I just have to decide whether to renew my season ticket again. I have had it for 21 years and I'm seriously wondering if it is worth it.

The second sequence may affect you as well, especially if you are around about my age. 1983, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2010. Quite easy this one, the general election sequence. That's not the depressing bit. I have lived  in five constituencies in those 7 elections. And not once has my vote counted for anything. Like most of you I'd guess. Our stupid electoral system puts the power to change a government in the hands of less that a million people. Is that democracy?

Of course AV is not a great system either, but it's not complicated STV is a great system and that is complicated), and anyway, we have a complicated tax system, and that doesn't stop them. So if you are wondering what is the point of voting on Thursday, and can't decide, do it for me. Stop me moaning about one tiny thing for one day. Because like the old saying goes, "if voting changed anything, perhaps they'd abolish it", and we just don't notice do we?

No comments: