Friday 29 April 2011

You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess

When my friend the Marketeer was pregnant I used to give her a lift home from work, giving her the chance to observe my driving skills and patient and calm approach to the traffic. It was a good experience for me, she has this saying, which although ostensibly about rush-hour journeys, is actually much broader than that:

"Everyone is just trying to get home"

Think about that for a moment.

I thought about that too when the driver of a fan from Archway Brickwork and Paving undertook me and then gave me the finger and a mouth full of abuse. I got some more of that when I OVERtook him at the next set of traffic lights. Before you ask, my behaviour was exemplary, I didn't say or do anything at all. But I guess he had a bad day, and after all, he was just trying to get home.....

Yesterday I had a fairly typical commuter run on the bike to work and back. Hills on the journey in, into a very stiff north-easterly breeze, and a very cold start too, practically winter weather. Quite the reverse on the way home. Off came the sleeves on the jacket, and the leg warmers and I was still boiling hot. Fortunately the wind was now behind me and I fair flew home along the flat at just under 17mph average. I missed a bit of recording on the way in because I forgot to switch Charlie back on at one point, but it's accurate enough.


These long weekends caused by Easter, Spring holiday and of course the Royal Wedding are great for extra cycling, as well as getting all those extra jobs done. I'm quite ambivalent about the wedding, pleased to have the holiday, but slightly annoyed that some of my money will inevitably be diverted to pay for it all. I was thinking back to 1981, the year West Ham lost the League cup final in dubious circumstances, (he was offside), my Dad painted the garage door and I did my O levels. And a terrible economic situation, and riots on the streets, and a bleak future ahead of us all. Government needs a bit of a distraction, let's have a circus to take their mind off it all.

Oh, and a royal wedding, yes that was supposed to be a love story too. What I'd really like to watch is the reception, rather than the service or the dress. See how the slightly edgier Middleton relatives cope with the wrong knife and fork, or whether there's any altercations and Fergie shouts "leave it Andrew he's not worth it". Probably not, but it it's an amusing image.

But maybe, just maybe, they are trying to get home too.

No comments: