Saturday 10 April 2010

Speedplay

So much on my mind today, so if you are in a hurry I'd come back later. If not, plump up the cushions, get a cup of tea, and settle down to read.

What are those white things coming out from under my shorts? Oh yes, legs. Last seen in daylight, and dare I say it, sunshine, some time around last September. This winter seems like the longest one for ages, but finally, today there was a glimmer of a forecast of an expectation of SPRING. Of course, that means faff in the clothing-choice department. Short or long gloves? It's 5 degrees at 8.30, but by midday the temperature will be in double figures. Thankfully cycling kit manufacturers have invented arm warmers, and best of all, the gilet, for that very circumstance.

So with clean cycling shoes on, for they too had not seen the daylight since last year, I headed off into a glorious day of light haze, light breeze, down to Axbridge to meet Knight of the Realm and the Rowberrow Pedal-man (RPM). He has those round pedals, where the clip mechanism is in the cleat on the shoe, not the other way round. We spent ages trying to remember their name, as we all headed over towards Glastonbury.

Why are gadgets and mechanical bits of kit so interesting? I'm not very good with mechanics, but I find the whole business fascinating? How does a derailleur gear shift work? Why are some hubs sealed and others not? Internal cable routing, a good thing? And best of all, RPM has a Garmin too, so we can spend hours, no years, chatting away about its features, deficiencies, when they go wrong, how the cadence and speed sensors work together. Marvellous.

Actually Charlie had a bad day today, kept cutting in and out of reception, so although the stats show I did 45ish miles at over 17 mph, I actually did nearer 51 at 16.8mph. Garmin is more fun, but Cateye is more reliable. A few hills, including one I chucked in at the end to take me over 50 miles, but mostly pan flat levels riding.

Speedplay, that was the name of the pedals. Which actually summed up our ride quite nicely. Both Knight and RPM are quite big chaps, and I am not, so it was great to draft them, and take our turns on the front. We rode in a line most of the way around, doing a middle-aged version of the British pursuit team, but with only 3 members and carrying more "luggage". So we were able to make pretty good time, have a nice coffee stop in Glasto, and still have time for a bit of sprinting. KG took the stage win, but I think I got the points jersey.

Loads and loads of cyclists out on the roads today too, probably all trying to get away from cutting the grass or DIY. I was escaping from my obligation as a West Ham season ticket holder. The idea of driving 6 hours in the sunshine and watching us teeter towards the Championship didn't hold the same appeal.

A bit like the election. You know it's happening and it affects you, but you'd rather not think about it, much less be involved. We passed a billboard in a field- "Vote for change, vote Conservative". Irrespective of the politics, has no-one in their PR machine spotted the linguistic tautology there?

Pleased to say I remembered to wear suncream, let's hope I need much more of it as the Spring and Summer roll on. Allez le Rouge et Noir!

http://connect.garmin.com/player/29541696

1 comment:

Rowberrow Pedal Man said...

Thanks for my new name – I shall treasure it for ever ………….

My Garmin (which likes to travel incognito) actually did quite well today. The figures of 45.11 total miles and average speed 17.3 mph, compare well with my Sigma figures of 45.32 and 17.4.

We were talking briefly today about the elevation figure using barometric pressure (as well as GPS details, I think). I read somewhere that temperature fluctuations can also affect the reading, so perhaps the warm weather has confused it! I see that there is an elevation correction button on Garmin Connect (on the Details tab, under Additional Information). I don’t know if this is new or not – I don’t remember seeing it before.

I managed to fall off when I got back to the car, by taking my right foot out of the pedal before tipping over to the left (as one does). Only my pride was dented (and a few minor scuffs on the bike). The worst thing was that there were four people walking up the pavement at the time and I fell literally at their feet. The two small girls with them wondered what on earth I was doing!

I might see you tomorrow. It depends whether my legs have recovered enough by tonight (particularly after the sprint into Cheddar) actually to get me up the stairs to bed ………. If not, have a good ride.