Sunday 11 April 2010

City slickers

After yesterday's impromptu ride, today was an official outing of the Axbridge Cycling Group. Skip was off doing a sportive in the Reading area, Knight of the Realm had been going to organise things, he even sent out an e-mail to that effect, but allowed himself to be persuaded into playing football instead. I think alcohol, late nights and the pub were involved, with regrets soon following, but his sense of duty overrode his regret.

So I took up the mantle and sent out another e-mail yesterday, saying that I would organise things. RPM had been going to join me, but was still a bit tired from yesterday, so he reluctantly pulled out. Still I headed off into another day of sunshine, down to the Square, and waited. Until 10 minutes after the allotted time, and I'm sorry if you turned up late because there was confusion about today's start time. I had no replies to the e-mail, and no-one has contacted me since I got back, so it was down to me to fly the flag.

So it came to pass that the official ACG comprised, for one ride only, just me. At least that meant I had to make all the decisions about routes, cafes, etc. etc. And you know how much I love hills right? The wind was getting up, and forecast to get stronger as the day went on, so I figured, head into it (north-east) via some hills, and come back on the flat with a tailwind.

So that's what I did. I went to Bristol, via Shipham Hill, Redhill, Dundry Hill, and then up to Clifton via some steep nasty lanes in Hotwells. Across the suspension bridge, and back via Belmont Hill and the A370. I was a bit jaded myself after yesterday, and for about 45 minutes in the middle of the ride, Charlie played up as well. This time it looks like I went faster than I did because he missed most of the climb up to Dundry. Starts off about 10% out of Felton, then ramps up to 17% towards the top.

The actual mileage was 43.13 with an average of only 13.7 mph. First time I have done that one from the south and a nasty one it is too. I was ambling today, mainly down the hills, including the descent of Dundry which has some nasty hairpins and you need to keep on the brakes really. I was also pretty unused to hills, it's been two weeks since the Cheshire cat, so I needed to get those climbing muscles working again.

Sunday, as you know, is the most dangerous day to be on a bike, and there were a number of sets of roadworks in the city, causing some frustrated and dangerous driving. You will be pleased to know I was a model of serenity today, I needed all my energy for the hills. Town cycling is not as fun as the countryside, but at least it was nice to go somewhere different for a change. Even if I do work in Bristol 5 days a week.

Cafe stop? Well I gave that a miss, but I did buy myself a 99 ice-cream from a van by the suspension bridge. The area was crowded with tourists, and a lot of cyclists headed for the Ashton court MTB trails. Even a few roadies, much younger than me, who powered past me as I headed towards Flax Bourton.

So, I hope that you all enjoyed yourself, whatever you did today. I really loved being in charge of the ACG, next time I hope a few of you can help me up those hills!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29711024

2 comments:

Rowberrow Pedal Man said...

Phew - I'm glad I pulled out when I did! Feeling the way I did this morning, I think Shipham Hill would have finished me off right at the start.

Sorry to read that Charlie's still not well. I noticed yesterday that his head was facing downwards. Would it help if you propped him up a bit?

Jennifer said...

Power went to your head? Don't worry - I'll be back to take over the reins (reigns?) soon enough *grin*. But I'll not be helping you up Dundry Hill...

Skip