Thursday 15 April 2010

Getting better all the time

Do you trust politicians and government officials? I generally err on the side of the sceptical, so when I saw the news today (oh boy)about the Icelandic volcanic eruption I was initially down-hearted. First, any calamitous news from Iceland gets me down-hearted. As a West Ham fan I've nearly 3 years of it, but this had nothing to do with Landsbanki or football. More to do with the shutting of our airspace due to an ash cloud drifting over us.

Now if this cloud of molten rock, glass and ash can kybosh jet engines, what would it do to my (already sub-standard) lungs? On the very day my son goes to a friend's house for a sleepover, thus affording me a short window of opportunity for mid-week cycling? It was dry and bright too. But it was OK, the ministry of something (truth?) explained it all away, saying it was far too high in the atmosphere to affect our health.

So off I went on a short but sharp hilly loop, with about two hours of daylight to complete it in. I don't know about this cloud, but it was pretty windy down on the ground, as I sped down the Axbridge by-pass, and turned the corner up Shipham Hill. The good news is that my ride at the weekend seems to have done me some good, as it was much easier today, but my lingering cold has now all but gone, barring the occasional cough. Either way, I decided to try as high a gear as possible whilst maintaining the same cadence, in the vague hope of some specificity to my training. Bunny will be tearing his fur out at this, because he is just so meticulous and planned. (It's the Judging preference!)

Up to Rowberrow, then down to Churchill and along to, and then up, Burrington Coombe. Then a further "up" to the telephone masts on the top of the Mendips, at just over 1000 feet above sea level. From there is was blast all the way down into Cheddar, by now it was getting a bit nippy too.

Charlie nearly performed perfectly today, but better than the last couple of times. I did the old technology cure-turn off and back on again, that seemed to do the trick. I also realised why the gorge descent was a bit hairy tonight. Part of the gorge actually runs in a NE-SW direction, and the other a SW-NE line. What with all the curves and chicanes and rock formations, there were a couple of moments when I got hit by some nasty crosswinds. So I was on the brakes after that.

So 23 miles and 2000 feet of climbing and it all seemed to go pretty well. I'll do a bit more hill stuff at the weekend, and then should be set up for a good White Horse Challenge the week after!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30142417

After I got home, I got into the bath for a good soak, switched on the radio expecting to hear some good chat about Sport, only to find the numpties had invaded the airwaves. Perhaps they should go on a sight-seeing visit to Iceland!

No comments: