Saturday 19 December 2009

Ice and skinny tyres don't mix

This is a patently true statement, but fortunately one that I did not get to put to the test today.

Let's go back to my well-intentioned desire to cycle to work this week, thwarted by a mixture of business requirements, a pesky bacterial infection in the waterworks region (that's my bladder not the Bristol Water reservoir up the road), and a lack of willpower in the face of rain, freezing fog or an early start.

So I resolved to make sure I got out for a ride today, even going so far as to enlist JT to come along so that I couldn't wimp out at the last minute. Faced with forecasts of sub zero temperatures and the memory of her history of recent crashes, broken collarbone and a concerned spouse, JT did the sensible thing and bailed out the night before, despite my attempts to persuade her this morning. I didn't try that hard I'll grant you.

So with increasing pressure on my trouser belt, Christmas looming and a need for exercise pressing, I just had to go it alone. A quick temperature check outside showed it was -4 degreesC at 9AM, but given that it was considerably frostier indoors, I welcomed the opportunity to get out into the frost. Of course the bike, the old bike was bit on the frozen side too, but a quick stop off at Cheddar cycle store, where Paul adjusted my cable for me, eased me out onto the flat moors.

I resolved, like a bird in winter, to go south, since that's where the sun is right? Well it was just about OK as long as I was in the sunshine, and actually since it was pretty dangerous to drive too, most folk had decided to stay indoors so there were fewer cars about, which made for a nice ride. I headed out across to Wedmore, then cut across the levels, skirted Glastonbury before turning back towards Westhay and the lure of cake and coffee at Sweets cafe.

Unfortunately they were only doing Christmas lunches today, so I had to rely on my rapidly freezing water and cereal bar for energy, as I started to pick up speed along the moors towards Mark. There were frozen puddles at the side of the road, but because we have had some windy dry days, the backroads were safer to cycle on than the main roads, where the odd spot of black ice, or ungritted patch, lurked menacingly to catch the unwary. Because it's nearly four years since my last serious crash (on the ice at Burrington Coombe, dislocated shoulder in case I haven't bored you with it) I powered on with a carefree attitude, even managing to pretend I was Cav sprinting for a stage win a couple of times. (I usually have an imaginary Thor on the Axbridge bypass to make it interesting, but you can't have everything).

In nearly three hours outside I only saw 7 cyclists, and only one of those was a lycra clad roadie like me. Two of them were teenagers on MTBs and the rest were either on tourers or hybrids. I say lycra-clad, well I actually had two base layers (including a thermal one, a fleece and a coat, pair of 3/4 tights and longs on top, thermal gloves, socks, cycling boots, buff and hat, and I never really got warm. Every time I put a lot of effort in, I'd perspire and then that would go all clammy and cold. Not nice.

I arrived home just as a few flakes of snow floated down, with a respectable speed given my caution on anything resembling a corner or downslope. Charlie performed admirably in the cold, although my regular Polar computer has definitely had it.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/20716879

The above Charlie stats include the player function, you can watch the speed and elevation change as it goes round the route. Pretty pointless but I love it.

It was 0 degrees C when I got home, so I suspect it's not going to be much warmer tomorrow, so may have to content myself with just the one ride this weekend. Well, I'll test my resolve with the commuting again. Today wasn't the coldest I have ever been on a bike, but it's pretty close, although just like the Exmoor Beast, I'm glad I did it. It was sunny, sparkly and perhaps almost fun.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

"My mama didn't raise no fool...". I really don't do cold, so I think on balance, it was a good call. Sounds like you had a good ride tho, so I'm almost jealous. Only almost though :)