Saturday 5 December 2009

Freeloading on sick people

That got your attention didn't it?



Today was an Axbridge cycling group day. I wasn't going to go, I had other plans involving the claret and blue, but a combination of a late night, a party, almost certain defeat(subsequently proved heavily right) and huge dollops of apathy gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.



So feeling distinctly rough, I got the Kona out the shed for the second time in two days-he's not used to all this favouritism, but if truth be told, I didn't want to wash two bikes, and of course Kona was still grimy from commuter duty-and rolled down to the square.



A huge throng of people being all Christmassy was joined by a veritable peleton of cyclists-nine of us-the biggest I have experienced from the ACG. Into the two groups we set off towards Rich's Cider cafe, press, factory, "W" as the teenagers say. Up the way I had just come in fact, led by KG in road camouflage Grey and black, past my house and down to Banwell. From there we headed past Banwell, Loxton and Rooksbridge out across the flat, and by now wet and windy levels to our pit stop.



Any end to ender will tell you that chips are the food of champion cyclists, as this one from Golspie on our final day clearly shows:



So today, in need of carbs and cafeine, and paracetamol actually, I consumed a bowl of "energy food" and a hot and late cup of coffee.

From there we headed back, my own peculiar obsession not to double back on ourselves having prevailed as we swung across the moors to Blackford, down into Clewer and thence to the race for the finish.

Which is where the headline comes in. You see JT has been sick, very sick. So much so, that she was still coughing and spluttering her way around today, almost a month since she last rode. And putting us all to shame in fact by cruising along quickly. In particular, me. Ashamed as I am to admit it, I drafted behind her as she sped homewards, and though she lost me by getting across the main road first, I just had to do my sad competitive thing and get back first.

Never mind, at least I feel rougher than sandpaper that's been beaten up now. A good ride, and all my gadgets worked! Charlie stats below:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/20104671

No comments: