Sunday 2 October 2011

There is no failure here sweetheart

I hope you are enjoying the Summer, I certainly am. I think I must be a bit run down because I've been struggling to shake off a lurgy for the past few days. Love that word. Along with jip, as in "my back's giving me...".

So ill have I been that even my usual miracle drug of choice, Paracetamol plus, failed to perk me up yesterday. I think the flu jab, that I took the presented opportunity to avail myself of at the Asthma Nurse check-up on Friday, (that was a long sub-clause) probably didn't help. I don't know. But there was nothing for it but to take myself and the whole Mendip Rouleur family (yes all three of us) to a Spa for a "mini-break" (a horrible phrase designed by the holiday industry to replace "a night away", far more practical but doesn't sell hotel accommodation) . And I'm not talking Belgium either.

Actually the timing was coincidental, I'd arranged it ages ago on the premise that the weather would be rubbish in early October and it would be a nice break before the Etape Cymru. So the high temperatures caught me out, but what can you do? Even the judging types amongst you must see that this weather is ideal for flexible and spontaneous folk like me. Unless you have fixed plans.

So I sat by a pool, did a bit of swimming, sat in a hot tub, and directed the water jets onto said area of jippy back, read some of my book, ate loads of nice food, and had fun. I didn't take advantage of the more advanced options, like hot stone massage or hairdressing, there seemed little point, and in any case I didn't want to take out a second mortgage. But it was fun.

And we got back home today in plenty of time for me to go and enjoy an ice-cream at Wookey Hole, and pack in a few climbs in the sunshine. I even managed to find two hills that I had never ridden up before, one is the short hill out of Easton towards Wookey, and the other is a nasty little ramp that links East Harptree Hill with West Harptree Hill, I think it's called Western Lane. I'd missed the ACG ride this morning, but perhaps next time I can design a ride that goes up this one and it can become "Guy's Hill". Bet they chicken out.

Cheddar gorge was fun. Emboldened by my experience on the descent of the Aspin in August, I took to overtaking some cars that were clogging up the descent. Not decent of them at all. Good fun though, particularly as it was bone dry, and not too windy today.

Not sure if I'll ride much this week as i start my new job and need to deal with all the priorities that this will entail. Like where are the showers and where do I store my clothes. I am in the market for a winter bike though, so if anyone knows of a 54 cm frame, preferably steel, that has gears and brakes and can be flogged to death over the next six months, please let me know. All part of the plan believe it or not.

As you can see I got a few miles in as well as some useful climbing practice, can't wait for next week.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/409327

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118657277

No comments: