Saturday 6 August 2011

Just give me what I want and no-one gets hurt

I'm not built for cycling, which given that it's become my main hobby is a bit of a problem. For a start my build is neither fish nor fowl, neither sprinter nor climber. And until hypnotherapy sorted it out, I used to suffer from vertigo, which made going down mountainous roads a bit of a problem.

So today, despite the weatherpeople's failure to get it right again, or maybe because of the rain, I decided to go and look for some ups to pedal and some downs to descend. And the Red Madone got an outing today, albeit with some old wheels that have 23mm tyres, important given the unexpected rain.

Before doing that I dropped K-1 at my local bike store in Cheddar:

http://www.cheddarcyclestore.co.uk/

The owner and former racing cyclist, I call him leadman, (think plumbum, and yes plumbers are called that for a similar reason, it's to do with pipes) has the strongest thumbs I have ever seen in my life, can get tyres off tight rims with one flick of the digit, where I'm trying to use ten tyre levers. Anyway, I'm getting some Ultegra calipers put on, as well as the full once over on various bits and bobs. Have I mentioned where I'm going at August bank holiday?

The ride? Well, as Cheddar gorge is dangerous descending country at this time of year, with all the tourists milling about waiting to get run over, I decided it was time to go up it. Followed by a little loop on the top of the Mendips, coming out near that strange castle-like house on the road that leads to Burrington.

Just as I was getting near the said house I became aware of a horrible wailing noise being projected into the quiet countryside by an PA system. I wasn't sure what it was, but guessed it was some kind of a music festival, although it seemed a strange place to have it. I later found this:

http://www.cloudcuckooland.org/cloud-cuckoo-land/a-festival-in-transition/

The best bit is the cycle ride that two blokes are doing in aid of a campaign to build sustainability in all things etc. They are riding from Camden to Cape Town, not London mind, Camden. I have to say I like all this stuff. I know it's very worthy and all that. What I like about it most is that it reminds me there are other people more earnest and preachy than me in the world, and that has to be good for me. I have spent quite a bit of time on a very high horse this week, so to find equine towers of immense stature, in very unusual places, is magnificent.

From there I headed down Burrington Coombe again, then up to Blagdon, across the dam and up to Butcombe, Row of Ashes and down to Wrington. There was just time to hit Rowberrow and Shipham again before coming home via Sidcot and the Alpe d'Huez of Winscombe. Not a long ride, but a good dose of climbing.

And I wore the Devon jersey in the end, and given I had two SMIDSY incidents I'd say I was right on the blending in front. Mind you the traffic was very heavy for a Saturday, the M5 was chock a block, so lots of people darting down roads they don't know, impatiently trying to get to the seaside. The positive thing is the pockets on the jersey are huge, so it may have to go to France after all, hopefully the more tolerant and careful driving over there will keep me alive.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/344153

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104493361

No comments: