Sunday 7 August 2011

I can go there

You have to dig deep into the heart of yourself to survive 70 minutes of mental torture. Yesterday Bunny did a ridiculous run up some muddy hills near his home in Macclesfield:

http://monmarduman.blogspot.com/

Sounds horrific to me, but as I'm frequently saying, chacun a son gout, vraiment mes amies. But whilst my challenge was much less physically demanding, I would contend that my challenge today was the more horrific psychologically.

I had vague plans, Cardiff City at home, now as it turns out that would have been worse, but fortunately number one son changed his mind and we depressed ourselves in front of the TV. More vague plans to ride for the third consecutive day, were thwarted by a mixture of my own torpor, and some very heavy and frequent showers.

I have a short circuit of the village that I do on days like today, it's about 3.5 miles long, and involves a nice mix of flat, descent and climbing. I'll normally spend an hour or so doing 4-5 circuits, but I really didn't want to wash my bike for the sake of an hours riding.

Nothing for it but to get the ipod out and sit on this for 70 minutes:

Since this photo was taken the bike has been upgraded. The handlebars have been turned upside down, to attempt a position more similar to a road bike, and of course I have fitted reversible flat/SPD pedals from an old mtb. But it's still tedious, but with three weeks to go, options for fitness improvement and retaining a clean bike are few and far between.

I'd love to describe the 70 minutes in detail, with nuances and interesting anecdotes. But I can't. It's dull, you get on, you pedal, sometimes like today according to a pre-determined programme, sometimes not. You stop. Music makes it just tolerable.

I used to have a turbo trainer but as my training is fairly disorganised, or flexible and spontaneous depending on your point of view, I found that even more tedious. So the exercise bike will have to do for those lazy, rainy, Sunday afternoons. Perhaps those are the days you find out more about yourself than belting up the Tourmalet. Perhaps not.

No comments: