Saturday 30 July 2011

Like horses over the hill

I've planned a legendary ride tomorrow, and as family plans changed I had a window to ride this morning. Added advantage of three days in a row, my first since last September, meaning at least some preparation for going to the Pyrenees at the end of August. In life, in work, in cycling, there are no new ideas, it's all about the quality of the implementation. And seizing your opportunities.

This is not a rehearsal.

Skip is off to Kernow this afternoon, and wanted to get a ride in before two weeks enforced rest. Actually that's rubbish, she's taking her bike with her and will probably do more in the next two weeks than I will, mais chacun a son gout. Or some such.

Religion is a club.

So off we went in the drizzle and the mud and the cow poo, all of which made for a dirty day, on a gentle, spin your legs loop over the levels and back, with a stopover at Sweet's cafe, Somerset cycling mecca, with it's board of the Somerset 100 still proudly displaying our names at numbers 42 and 77 respectively. How great it was to be able to choose our own numbers.

Celebrity is a job.

Pity the poor civilians, who arrived at the cafe when it was empty, only to find it filled within 10 minutes with approximately 20 sweaty, lycra-clad, slightly damp MAMILs and Skip, and a female triathlete with socks up to her knees. Very wrong. They, the civilians not the socks, must have thought they had been transported to an episode of the twilight zone, or maybe not. Skip basked in the adulation that her Rapha Etape cycling jersey produced, and it is very fetching I have to say, whilst I did my best to keep eating, for tomorrow we ride.

It's your world you can change it.

I have now topped 3000 miles on the various bikes so far this year, which is amazing considering the lack of opportunity I feel I have to ride. Just shows what can be done if you set your mind to it. It was a great ride, even if slightly autumnal, and it's still July. Can't wait for summer. But I'm always saying that. Time for a bath and food, but not at the same time.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/334731

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvQz1qOsQU&NR=1

No comments: