Friday 29 October 2010

Mild or best?

Mrs Mendip Rouleur went to Ireland today, along with young MR, so it was an opportunity to ride in to work. However, given that I dropped them at the airport at 5-15AM, and the poor weather forecast, it may not have been much of an opportunity. For once the forecast was fairly spot on. A very mild day for the time of year, very windy, with occasional showers.

I also discovered that our council has taken to switching the street lights off in the dead of night because they were off (on the A38 between here and the airport) at 5.30, but back on at 7AM when I was riding in. The darknesss (the light level or absence of, not the slightly fey rock band) is a real disincentive to fast riding. Despite having reasonable lights to illuminate the roads, it was hard going. I want to keep to those to avoid the traffic, but of course they wind about a bit and even though I have cycled them hundreds of times I found that the lights were not strong enough to search out every pothole or branch from a hedge.

Still it was a good little workout up over the airport hill, on the way in, and Dundry on the way home. I still feel very rough though, it takes the lungs about 40-45 minutes to feel OK, which doesn't bode well for Sunday. I was going to ride in again tomorrow, but have decided to rest instead. On the way home I was fair exhausted, I had an all-day meeting and probably didn't really eat enough during the day, so a lot of carb-loading now required.

The forecast for Sunday is not looking too good, still it can't be as bad as last year......

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54672547

No comments: