Friday 8 October 2010

Back where I belong

I hadn't ridden my bike for two weeks. Since climbing off at Land's End in fact, and just to mix a metaphor for a moment, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. When I got back from Cornwall I was tired, jaded and felt like I'd ridden enough for the year, never mind September. This week I'd come down with a tummy bug, had a lot on at work, and to cap it all my left hamstring kept spontaneously cramping, and pulling on my knee, giving that a chronic low level pain.

In short I was turning into a a misery.

So it was with some trepidation that I got the Red madonne out of the shed this morning, in the dark, lights fitted, new saddle on the seatpost, to ride into work.

Well I needn't have worried, it was like that feeling you have of easing into a hot bath at the end of a long walk. Or sinking into an armchair at the end of a party. Or, ... well you get the message. Within a couple of miles it felt like I'd never been away, and as the dawn broke over the Mendips, and will of the wisp mist scudded across the blue sky, I realised (again) how fortunate I am to live in such a place, with a wonderful family, friends, and cycling buddies (not mutually exclusive groups btw), a great job, and last but not least-the Red Madonne.

K-1's gear cable snapped while I was testing it after the 3 Moors Tour, so as it has a few other repairs needed it's off to Cheddar cycle store tomorrow afternoon. But the Red Madonne will do just fine thank you very much.

I am not sure I'll be able to cycle in via the flat route anymore. Maybe in the depths of winter, we'll have to see. Today it was over to Wrington, up Long Lane, through Felton then down through Long Ashton and Aston Court. On the way back it was Dundry Hill, Winford Hill then back the way I'd come through Wrington. I only had to cycle in the dark for 30 minutes this morning and then for about ten minutes in the evening. So it was a pleasant experience being out in the Autumn fresh air, a bit damp but very warm. Especially as the leaves are absolutely delightful this year, maybe it's me just appreciating these things a bit more.

I've been reflecting a lot this week as you can imagine. Life is precious and short. THESE ARE NOT CLICHES! I feel we almost have a duty to realise that, make the most of what we are given, celebrate our ups and do our best on the downs. An allegory for my cycling in fact, or maybe the other way round, but who cares. That's certainly the case for me as I'm crap at descending and not been to good on the climbs. But I'm going to get better, oh yes. Better at life that is.

Charlie and my computer are not talking this evening, had a technical tiff, so I'll have to load the stats tomorrow, after the ACG. Here it is:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52161306


This post is dedicated to Frank Curran, he was a great lover of sport, wrote about it for 70 years, and I wish I had taken the trouble to get to know him better than I did. He was also special to a lot of people beyond his family, you can read about him here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11452533

No comments: