Thursday 16 September 2010

Over all too soon

Do you want a nail-biting suspense of a thriller? Will he make it on time? Or are there last minute mechanical or punctures or accidents that are just going to take it down to that metaphorical wire?

No point really is there? Of course we made it. I was so pumped up on adrenaline by the time I left at 8AM on Saturday morning that I would have carried my bike there if I had to. The road was now out of the mountains, and although there were two nominal cols-St. Pierre (185m)and Ternere (200m)- I'm not sure which of the bumps we went over were them. For the most part it was a long gentle descent to the coast of the Med, before turning south along a busy Saturday cliff-top road, and enjoying the sunshine.

Although Bunny and I started off with a fellow raider, doing through and off, we both wanted to enjoy ourselves, and eschewed the "opportunity" to join the main peleton. It was archetypal French countryside, tree-lined roads, people playing boules, and lots and lots of beret-wearing shruggers with onion strings. Yes I made the last bit up, but you get the gist.

Despite our attempt at a dawdle, it was always my intention to get there reasonably quickly, so after a little over three and a quarter hours (Ave speed 17.6mph for the 58 miles), we were being given a glass of champagne, having photos in the sea, buying the commemorative cycling top, and most importantly, getting that carnet stamped.

Here is Charlie for the last day and a half:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48735018

What a trip. Very hard, much harder than I thought it would be, and funnily enough it was the descents that I found hardest. Something to practice on going down Dundry Hill this winter perhaps!

If you are wondering whether to do it, don't hesitate, life is too short not to have a go. Marmot were great, delivered excellent support in all the right places, and made sure we were OK without mothering us to death.

Now, what about 2011........

No comments: