Sunday 19 September 2010

I was just thinking........Cheddar Cyclosportive 2010

I had ditched my plans to ride the 100 mile course for the annual Cheddar Sportive in favour of riding the 100 km route. After all, it's not like I need to get the miles in, and next weekend could be a long one again with approximately 260 miles planned over three days.

So I signed on, for me and Bunny at Cheddar cycle store, and went back home to look at the route. There are a few hills in it, quite sharp ones too, but they are reasonably short compared to, well others. Last Saturday Bunny and i had cycled from Prades to Cerebere in around 3-17 plus some short stops, and although that was mainly flat and downhill, we had been slowed by seaside traffic and a couple of big hills at the end. So when I saw that a Gold award was there to be had for a time of 3 hours 45 or less, well my nature kind of took over- what else could i do?

That said, it was terrific to all form up in the Square at 8AM, beautifully kitted out in our ACG regalia. The day was little on the chilly side, but not too bad, enough for an extra layer or gilet, but no more, and the wind was from the south-west, again a bit brisk but not like Wednesday when it was a howling gale.

Our team peleton-Skip, Knight of the Realm, the Captain, RPM, The Doc, Bunny (honorary member for the day)and I (we were joined later on the start line by the Communicator)- trundled down to the start, drawing admiring glances from the few cyclists already there. A kind chap took our photograph and we formed up on the start line and off we went just after 8.30AM. After a bit of shilly-shallying Bunny and I emerged at the front of the group and took it up the long straight through Clewer, and into Cocklake.

And it was there that the ACG must have split, because the next thing I know, I'm in Wedmore with just Bunny and some other riders for company. Long-time readers will know that traditionally, in any sportive, when I'm in a group I get dropped on any kind of hill whatsoever. So whilst my performance today was not Contadoresque, or even Schleck-like, I'm pleased to say that I broadly held my own, with just one exception.

So (sorry Bunny, I leave this pointless word in just for you!) it was group-riding most of the way to Glastonbury, Butleigh and out to Somerton, with a few bits where I was soloing. Knowing what a nasty little rise it is into Somerton I got myself firmly in the wheel of a young cyclist with the most amazing pair of pigtails, very distracting to a man of a certain age. Ahem. This group stuck together till we hit the sharp hill up to High Ham, when I fell off the back. It was the last I saw of Bunny, who clearly wanted to get closer to the pigtails. I had a brief chat with Rosa, manning the feed-station there in High Ham, before zooming off on my tod, first down the hill, then across the flat, towards the next hill which took us over to Shapwick. Incidentally, did you spot who was directing cycle traffic across the A39?

Down onto the levels I put my head down and went for it, if I was going to get that gold, I couldn't afford to hang about. I reasoned that there was no point in saving myself for anything, just go at max speed while I could, hope the two bars and two gels, combined with the pasta last night, would be enough to keep the engine burning.

I was fortunate when the lights at some roadworks near Burtle change to green for me, and it was shortly afterwards that I was caught by a group. To be fair, I did about a mile on the front, they seemed content to let me do it for a while. After that I was content to chew the rubber, until they upped their pace and I thought I was dropped again. It proved short-lived as I passed them again just on the outskirts of Burnham, and we stayed together for the rest of the ride. In fact we caught a couple of other groups, until we were about 12 strong by the end.

I finally lived up to my KoM socks by being second up Brent Knoll, and the same past the Webbington, and first, yes first, up Notting Hill. The up-down bit past the windmill was back into the wind, and by now I thought I was looking close to getting in under the 3 hours 45 needed for gold. Coming down the steep back road into Clewer we arrived just after an accident had happened, apparently a car had forced a cyclist into the hedge by not moving over, and said cyclist and bike then did a cartwheel down the road. I saw him later at the finish, and he was shaken, bruised and cut, but more worried about his bike. Always a good sign of a crashed cyclist's state of health, got to get your priorities right.

I thought I might be deprived of a sprint contest back into Cheddar, but the group must have sensed the fun to be had, and the pace quickened noticeably. I hopped from wheel to wheel until there was just one in front of me, I got my nose in front but then he powered away down the side street towards the finish.

After all that I was delighted to find Bunny enjoying a cup of tea, chatting to one of my work colleagues at the HQ, and also subsequently to coming well inside the gold time, and officially at least being the 13th best finisher, and the 5th in my age category. Unofficially I suspect a lot of the sub 5 hour times in the 100 mile course are actually 100 km, so my position would slip, but I think I'm upper quartile. My time? 3 hours 29 minutes and 48 seconds.

Now if I seem a little too pleased with myself, I would say that I was just capitalising on the form of the Raid Pyrenean while I can. It was one of those days where the answer is "because I can", a kind of marker to myself. As Bunny said, the Gold standard seemed a bit generous, so to my way of thinking, take advantage while I can, those opportunities don't come along that often for cyclists like me!

Those that know me will know that my father in law is still gravely ill, and it brings things to a certain perspective. If you don't want to read a serious and gushy bit, skip to the stats at the end.

In all seriousness, I loved riding in the ACG top today. I took up road cycling only about two years ago, having been a MTB boy previously. I was always a bit of a loner too, so it has surprised me how much I am growing to love this group, the banter, I'd even call it fellowship. So if you are reading this I ask for your help. Make sure that we all remember that the purpose of cycling, the ACG, and who knows, perhaps even life itself, is to be with people and enjoy our cycling and our company. I'm not always great at this, in all spheres of my life, but to paraphrase Jules Winnfield, "I'm trying real hard to be a shepherd".

Stats. include riding to and from the event:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49624204

No comments: