Saturday 1 May 2010

Lord of the Flies

All cyclists are interested in the weather. This interest ranges from mild to obsessive depending not just on the individual, but also on the proximity of the next ride. Of course, because a Bank Holiday weekend was approaching this inevitably meant poor weather forecasts. For reasons that are fairly Byzantine, involving family arrangements, lawn mowers and the need to drop a car in at the Toyota garage, it was difficult to integrate the optimum weather forecast with a ride this weekend.

Tomorrow, Skip's hectic life had allowed a cycling window which I wanted to join her in jumping through, so if I was to fit in two rides, today had to be the day. So the Eagle-eyed amongst the three readers of this blog will notice that today's ride started in Weston, at Howard's Toyota to be precise. I did toy with starting Charlie off at home and making it look like the first 8 miles of the journey were done at speed, but that would be cheating.

After just 2 minutes I was stopped by a man on a bike with panniers, going the other way, asking for directions in a Geordie accent. "I'm trying to get to the bridge over Chepstow, canny lad". OK, he didn't say "canny lad" but the rest is true. I just love this, if Bunny is reading, he will know what I mean. From April until August I get asked this sort of thing all the time, because it is LEJOG season. It gives me the opportunity to give advice on routes, swap stories and wish people well on their journey to the bleak place at the tip of Scotland. Best thing today was, this chap was heading for Hereford, which is where we stayed on the first Saturday too, so it gave me a warm nostalgic glow.

Today was a chance to do a few hills-Bleadon (twice), Brent Knoll, Mudgley via Dagg's Lane and finally up to Priddy from Wookey Hole via Ebbor gorge. Dagg's Lane is closed to traffic as the bridge at the base is unsafe, and for now it's still accessible by bike. Judging by the rate at which the tarmac is cracking up and being invaded by moss and other foliage, it won't be rideable soon. So if you want to tick that one off your list (and at 22% it's a feather in any one's cap), I'd do it soon if I were you.

Whilst I'm in the warning business, the road around Blakeway (Kid Gate Drove to be precise) is littered with broken glass. Luckily I got a warning from a walker, but there are a couple of patches where shards extend all over the road, so I had to stop and carry the bike for about 20 yards.

It was odd how Brent Knoll seemed awash with "Vote Conservative" posters, whereas a few miles further on in the villages around Wedmore and Wookey, it was all "Vote Liberal". I don't think there can be anything tribal about it, but it was very marked how the posters seem to take over a village and not allow the other hue in.

It is now fly season. Despite the falling temperature, it was still warm and humid enough for them to be out, with large swarms in the countryside. I collected quite a lot by virtue of the suncream which I sport between April and September, and quite a few took a fancy to my legs too. I think I'll have to wear a buff or get one of those helmets with a mesh. My wife teases me about my largish front teeth, but they came in handy today as a wasp bounced off them before he could get down my throat.

In between the hills I made pretty good time, but that hill out of Wookey is a toughie. It peaks at about 20%, but averages around 12-15% and just seems to go on and on. I felt OK though and was able to get home via Cheddar gorge pretty quickly. The Bank holiday had brought the grockles out, usually without their brains, but I was restrained and patient. I did overtake one car, the driver of which was looking anywhere but the road ahead, and going at the speed of a wheelbarrow laden with cabbage.

Best of all, the rain held off till after I got home, and although the forecast is shocking for tomorrow, at least one of this weekend's rides was dry. That is a meteorological result!

Here's Charlie's route:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31820859

No comments: