Saturday 22 May 2010

Fun in the Sun

It's official, summer is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have banned anyone in the office from complaining about it being "too hot" because after the longest winter since the Little Ice Age, or Krakatoa erupting or something like that, finally we have temperatures worthy of the month of May. Yesterday I rode to work and back, and as usual on such occasions I was leaving the house at about 6.30AM. Even in the gilet and skullcap I was overdressed, and by the time I came home, circuitously and hill-climbingly via Backwell Hill and the airport, it was humid, sticky, buggy and boiling.

A great thing happened on the way in yesterday. I don't think this could happen to anyone else but cyclists-an impromptu group of total strangers (if 3 constitutes a group) came together for a short time, rode together, shared some work, got our collective speed up, and then as our paths dispersed, we went our separate ways with just a simple shout of "cheers, see you". From Backwell to Ashton Park, about 5 miles I'd say, we had co-operated, taking turns on the front, with not a word spoken, we all knew what to do. I don't think any other sport in the world could do that.

My route to/from work: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34044435

So today, leaving at the comparatively late hour of 8.45AM for an Axbridge Cycling Group outing, (as in bike ride, rather than something Tatchelesque- although it would be an interesting activity, a group of cyclist going round the country revealing people's closet-like tendencies), I knew summer kit was the order of the day.

Mrs MMAM says that almost exclusively I am scruffy and pay little heed to what I wear outside of work and cycling. This morning she even accused me of being stuck in a 19880s-fashion time warp. But she has a point about the cycling clothes, and after much faff, I settled on my new outfit, a very fetching red, white and black Giordana two piece. Problem though. What to do about the head? Being follically-challenged I needed to cover up to protect me from the sun. But as we were levels-bound I also knew I wanted some protection from the flies. So I adopted a pirate-style buff thing and suitably attired I headed down to Axbridge.

A peloton of 8, including two newbies, both of whom looked suspiciously fast. And that was before they even moved. One, who is a third my age, shall be known as "The Perfect Generator" because he generated so much power with barely any effort whatsoever. Of course I can ride over 100 miles in a day, and I'd like to think I have some endurance advantages. But I'm kidding myself really. When you are 45 the best you can do is to compete against yourself. And Knight of the Realm obviously, but then he's even older than me.

The PG's Mum was pretty good too, and despite one of our fastest ever rides, the two of them lived up to my suspicions without seeming to break sweat. I broke loads, in fact I'm still breaking it now, two hours after I got back.

It was very hot and a flat route down to Burnham and back was just what we needed. Skip describes it very well:

http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?m=201005

After the ACG went their separate ways I continued, doing a loop up through Puxton, Weston and Banwell, to take my total mileage to 56 miles for the day, and 101 for the two days. I feel under prepared for next week's Tour of Wessex, so I'm hoping lying on the sofa will be the perfect preparation. Rest is important too, after all. Perhaps I'll have a dream about being young again, and winning the Tour de France. Or more likely dream about cleaning my bike, which I really must do, where's the sponge?

Here's Charlie:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34102578

2 comments:

Skip said...

I was going to call him BW for Boy Wonder... *grin*

Rowberrow Pedal Man said...

It's all right for you - PG is less than a quarter of my age!