Sunday 23 May 2010

Flat out

No reference to punctures (please God and all his saints and any other denomination I can think of), today was a day to avoid the steep stuff. Skip and I had planned a trip to Wells via Cheddar gorge, and then back. For her, it was a way to exercise without going to a gym (currently without air conditioning) whereas for me it was a chance to cycle for three days in a row, as practice for next week's Tour of Wessex, albeit with lower mileage.

The arrangement to meet got us out of bed and down to the Square by 10AM, but it was there that hangover (her) and lethargy (me) intervened, and it was over to default mode. Glastonbury it is then.

And very pleasant it was too. Loads and loads of cyclists of all types, including roadies, mtbers and even a brace of tandems all out and about in the hot sunshine.This included the ToW organiser who passed us near Godney going in the opposite direction. He was being pursued by Mr White van man, busily chatting away on his mobile (van man that is), so much so that he only realised we were coming at the last minute. For once my serenity on such occasions (ahem) deserted me, and I told him to think about calling later.

Anyway, on to Glastonbury for coffee and cake(more cyclists outside the cafe) and then back via the moors to Mark and Cross. I had to loop out of Axbridge and back up the by-pass to ensure I hit 40 miles for the trip, making over 140 miles for the last three days. If I had been playing idiots vs cyclists the score would have been in the order of 75-1, which makes for a pretty good day in my book.

Bike clean, me clean, food in, all I need to do now is have lots of sleep and avoid all ill people and I'll be fine for the weekend. No problem. Gulp.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34241226

1 comment:

skip said...

good to see you cleaned your bike too - great minds think alike! *grin*