Monday 22 February 2010

In these shoes? I don't think so!

Hopping around like a crazy, lycra-clad grasshopper with my foot feeling like it has been crushed by one of those things at a scrapyard. It felt like it must be broken, but as usual, it was just a man-thing-cramp.

Skip needed to get her miles in before her first event, as did I. The only difference being that my event is at the end of March, whereas hers is in a fortnight. So we headed off around the levels on a similar route to Friday, before climbing Brent Knoll (where I was gasping at the top) and Banwell Castle (where I had to race and beat I may add, a 7-year old on a BMX bike). I was exhausted and by the time we got to Winscombe lights I was jumping up and down as Skip headed off towards Axbridge. I didn't catch her until she stopped.

What should I expect, I was 1.5 miles short of 50 miles, and apart from a couple of cake-bars (honestly full of low GI carbs and very healthy), I had barely eaten since breakfast. It was about 3 o'clock in the afternoon by this stage so it was no surprise that I had cramp, but in the foot? Having said that I had felt pretty tired and we did a pretty good time.

A big lesson for me-eat, eat, and eat or else risk looking a numpty in public.

Here's Charlie's take:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25230211

No comments: