Sunday 6 November 2011

Leave it behind

I'm approaching the same mileage figure that I did for the whole of 2010, so I'm hopeful of hitting my last target of the cycling year. I was told yesterday that I needed a goal, to get me focused int he right cycling direction. I had one today actually, to ride up Bridge Valley Road in Bristol, it's only just re-opened after being closed for the best part of two years while the Council made sure the wall didn't fall down on anyone.

It's not the Hourquette d'Ancizan but it is steep, if about 14km shorter. I did a loop via Clevedon and parts of the Avon Cycleway, into Bristol, suspension bridge and back home. 50 or so miles in the sunshine and the cold northerly wind. Autumn is here and it is time to draw some lines under 2011.


If you haven't seen it yet I hope you will look at the Achievements in 2011 Facebook page that I set up. I think there is too much sadness and bad stuff floating around the news pages at the moment, and a few more blessings need to be counted. Maybe a bit of optimism and the realisation that we can achieve things when we set out to do so, might just spark a global recovery. No point in thinking small.

As for next year, well I continue to walk on into that journey with no preconceptions, but much, much more optimism than I had a month or so back. Let's just say that mountains will need to be involved in it somewhere. And probably a bike. But no fish.

1 comment:

Caroline Talbott said...

Absolutely agree with you Guy, there are so many positive things to focus on- if you look for gloom all you'll see is gloom. FDR was right, what we have to fear is fear itself. Now off to add my achievements to your group - brilliant idea, congrats on that and all your other achievements!