Friday 3 June 2011

It all adds up, and what you have is enough

Some days are better than others, and for me today was one one of those for wildly contrasting reasons. Being Friday I rode to work, had a nice strong coffee in the morning, and got loads done. I don't want to be fate-tempting in case it all goes wrong, but it was the complete opposite of "one of those days".

It was blisteringly hot on the way home, it had been fairly warm on the way in too, even at 6.30AM, so I'm hoping things cool a bit for Sunday and the Dragon Ride. I'm hoping my new 21mm tyres will make all the difference for the 120 mile route. It will also be delightful to be back in Skip's company for a sportive, I've really had enough of all day cycling on my own.

On my way home, as I was cycling up Old Hill in Winford, I came across a strange scene. It's a narrow country lane, and yet two cars were parked in a passing place and there was a knot of people, hugging each other and kneeling by the verge. As I got closer I could see they were all visibly distressed, crying and comforting each other and putting bunches of flowers in the hedge.

I felt like I was intruding on something very personal and private so I didn't linger. But later when I got home I found out that a woman had been thrown from her horse at that spot last evening, and later died in hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13638405

It's a short and precious gift, this life. However yours is, easy, tough, happy or sad, I urge you to treasure it, because you just never know when it will end, do you?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/451947

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89899267

No comments: