Monday 28 February 2011

Winds have changed, whisper in the trees

One of my favourite sayings is this: "These are my principles, if you don't like them, I have others". OK, it's a joke, but it has a serious point behind it too. I hope I'm never so inflexible and dogmatic that I can't be persuaded or change or evolve my opinion on something. You can sense what is coming can't you?

Skip and I agreed to go for a recovery ride today, it was planned to be a very flat run out to Fairyland for good coffee and trivial conversation. But there was a cold north-easterly blowing, and I hate coming back on the flat into the teeth of that. Especially when I'm a bit tired. Holiday? Just glad I left my Blackberry in England these last few days, I'm an addict. I'll have to bury it under the patio like Mandy Jordache.

Remember her? Along with having TV's first lesbian daughter, she was the soap character who finally did for her abusive husband with a kitchen knife, after weed killer and paracetamol had failed to do him in. A definite case of murder, with the husband's body under the said patio they nearly got away with it, and it was not pesky kids but a leaky pipe that sent her to prison.

So most of our conversation was trivial, light, fun, but somehow we drifted onto the death penalty for murderers. I don't know much, but it ain't trivial. And whilst I'm prepared to listen to your opinion or principles, all the logical arguments in the world won't sway me on this one. Killing people is wrong. For anyone.

So we didn't go to Glastonbury, we went all over the place instead, mainly looking for an open cafe. But we avoided the busy roads and chatted about this and that, and all in all it was a good ride.

Skip has done a great blog on the ride, which featured lots of chat, a disappointing chocolate cake, my third new cafe in under two months (how many are there in North Somerset?) and a great ascent of Burrington Coombe.

http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?m=201102

It turned out surprisingly hilly too, how did that happen? With the Mad March Hare running on Sunday, I better get some sleep. Which is not what my friend the boss will be getting, that happens when a child is born, so lots of love to little Elizabeth Hope and her parents. xx

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70647951

No comments: