Friday 25 June 2010

Easy does it

I seem to be saying this type of thing a lot this year, but Sunday is a big day. Not the longest day's cycling I have ever done, but the most climbing in a single day I think. Tops 10K feet (I'll leave the metric till I'm in France, till then it's feet, miles per hour and the odd perch and chain thrown in for good measure. Just think about that last one.) For it is the Dartmoor classic.

This time last year I was entering my first solo sportive, down in Devon and challenging for me, so it's a mark of how far I have come in 12 months to think I could have the temerity to enter one of the big sportives on the calendar. So today, on my ride into and from work, I didn't want to push it too much, just spin the legs a bit, enjoy the sunshine, bobs your uncle. (In case you are wondering, it's something to do Lord Salisbury according to some etymologists).

Of course Sunday is the day of England's forthcoming encounter at the World Cup with our traditional foes. Most likely an exit awaits via a penalty shoot-out, but then as Mrs MMAM pointed out, "at least we win when it matters". Another friend of mine reckons that our national sports are drinking and fighting, and if you look at our history that's not a bad assessment, and these have become entwined with football to a degree. Cycling is definitely not something we have had a good track (pun intended) outdoor record in, and so I'm wondering what the attendance will be like on Dartmoor.

In honour of the event i wore my Foska 3 Lions/Cross of St George top today, with some red arm warmers for the early morning chill. Apart from a few midge bites it was a pretty uneventful ride in, although the sunshine and the cool breeze was more inviting than the all-day meeting I had booked in. At 4.30PM I picked up a message to say that 9 year old son was playing in a football match up at the school sportsground, did I want to go? It was less of a question really, more of an implied command. I did want to go actually, but the key word in that sentence was "up". No choice, I had to spin as gently as i could up to Failand, watch the match (an unfortunate 1-0 defeat, with a very, very dubious piece of refereeing for the goal, and you will be pleased to know I was a seething but silent Parent who behaved impeccably. Unlike son who was all for giving ref a piece of his mind-where does he get it from).

After that it was back on the bike and a chance to practice my descending skills down Belmont Hill, before a lovely evening flat ride home in the sunshine.

The weather forecast for Sunday is hot, so it will be a challenge all right. Practice for the Pyrenees then. And it's better than rain and wind in my view. If I'm quick enough on Sunday I may get back for the match, watch it somewhere on the way home maybe. Fingers crossed and let's hope for the spirit of 66. I know there are not enough West Ham players in the team, but if you look at the players on the pitch the other night, about 7 of them had West ham connections (James, Johnson, Terry, Upson, Lampard, Defoe, J Cole), so it would be like us winning the World Cup again. West Ham I mean.....


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38137130

No comments: