Friday 11 June 2010

Crime and Punishment

Dostoevsky, not a cheerful sort and I doubt if ever did much cycling, mainly because he died shortly after the bicycle was invented, and because unlike Camus, he never wrote or talked about sport in general. I think he dabbled a bit with existentialism though, much like I dabble with serious training-it's an interesting concept and I can see the value, but it's not me really. Old Fyodor was more at ease with morality, politics and psychology if you ask me, but what do I know? My degree was Biochemistry.

The point of this ramble is that today started with a heinous crime. Maybe not as bad as murdering a pawnbroker, but pretty serious. It all relates to the weather forecast. Friday=commuting day, and the added complication that the courtesy car from the garage (although car is a loose description, think cardboard box with wheels and lawnmower-sized engine), well it had to be swapped over, so therefore I had to leave it at home anyway.

So last night then, what was going through my mind? Weather, yes, weather forecast was shocking. Torrential rains, strong north-easterlies, maybe brighter in the afternoon. Riding on Sunday with ACG, and never fancy washing the bike on a Friday night, I know I'll take the winter bike. What's more I better pump its tyres up, check it over, bit of lube and grease, Bob's your uncle. While I was about it I'll make my bottles up the night before, and what colour is the winter bike? A sort of silvery blue, so dig out the blue water bottles for good measure.

This morning dawned grey, bit blowey, but, dry. As a bone. And forecast to be hot in the afternoon. So Light waterproof to keep chill off, and as a contingency (you can't trust the Met office these days), out to the shed and I'll ride the black, lovely, light sleekness that is my P & J. With blue bottles.

I confess, no need for the thumbscrews, guilty as charged of a crime of colour dis-co-ordination. Or something.

The ride? You want to know about the cycling? well it was good, no it was fab. The old maxim of "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster" seems to be true at the moment. Nearly 16mph into work, into a 18mph headwind too, and then above 15mph on the way home, despite a couple of reasonable (600 foot each) climbs. Once up to Failand from central Bristol, and the other up Brockley Coombe to the airport.

There wasn't any punishment to speak of. Today I focused on upping my cadence, which seemed to work, maybe that's why I was so quick. Or that I'm very relaxed this week.

Round trip of about 40-45 miles, and I really enjoyed it.

Charlie worked, the bike worked, it's cleanish for Sunday and the weather forecast looks good. Uh-oh, you know what that means....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36488578

No comments: