Sunday 21 March 2010

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Next week I'm off to Cheshire to take part in the Cheshire Cat, my first sportive ever last year, and now the first of 2010. I'm going to stay with my mate Battery, more on why I've called him that next week. (If you are reading, you'll have to guess because I'm not telling you before I tell my public. What a luvvie!)

The CCat has a hill in it called Mow Cop:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mow_Cop

The hill is just over a mile long, and ramps up to a stunning 25-30% at the top. No-one is quite sure exactly, but I hope to be able to tell you, with Charlie's help, next week. There is a medal at stake, and even though I got one last year, I want one for this year too. I'm a bit lacking in confidence this year for some reason, don't know why, perhaps because I know what I'm in for.

This morning I awoke feeling very tired after yesterday. Hungover, after yesterday's 72 miles. Cracking headache and dehydration, that sort of thing. Fitted the new wheels. Fitted the new brake blocks, which of course meant all kinds of faffing to reduce the drag on the new wheels. Maybe I'm not the mechanical sort, but surely brake blocks that don't even allow your wheels to move, must have a design fault. Any tips?

So the ideal day to head up past the gliding club really. Even Leadman from the local bikeshop says it's the hardest hill on the Mendips. It's about the same length as Mow Cop, and isn't as steep at the top-it peaks at 20%, but it has a similar profile in that it gets progressively steeper. Starting at 10-11% then a middle section of 16-17% and then the final ramp. I admit I didn't make it in one go, I had to stop and push for a 100 yard section in the middle, but I did manage the steepest bit at the top. Just as I hit the very crest of the hill, a walker, broke off from her mobile phone conversation to ask me the name of the road. I consulted Charlie and told her, very politely too, which given the circumstances was surprising.

When you look at Charlie's stats, have a look at the profile of the hill, it's easy to see- it goesw up like a harrier jump jet. There is also a blip that says I hit 73 mph coming down Burrington Coombe. Is that possible? My bike computer recorded a top speed of just over 40mph.

So next week, all I have to do, is avoid riding 70 miles on Saturday, don't get a hangover, get plenty of rest, and avoid people asking for directions. Fingers crossed.

The rest of the ride was uneventful, usual Sunday stuff. Lot of cyclists out today. It's sunny you see. Where were you all yesterday? Lightweights.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27587139

No comments: