Wednesday 10 March 2010

Commuting is fun!

Well it was today at any rate, but then I was on a bike, there was no rain, the wind was behind me on the way home, and I had my new high visibility dhb bib shorts on. I can not stress how much I love this garment, the hi-vis are actually sewn in bits of shiny material, not transfers. With all my other lights and hi-vis strips, I must positively blind motorists.

Usual run in today along the A370 in, back via A38, airport and Wrington. Slower in than usual, bit quicker back. Shame I won't be doing it much longer as I will be permanently on school run duties for the forseable, but heigh-ho there's always alternatives.

I actually counted the idiots versus cyclists again to pass the time. Surprisingly, only 4 idiotic acts of behaviour, which I found surprising given the volume of traffic. One of those was a daft pedestrian attempting to cross a road in the middle of a dual carriageway, the other a cyclist through a red light. It's not a scientific survey, but I think it shows that Sunday drivers are worse than commuters, at least in the morning. Sure they drive fast, but none was too close to me, and all were paying attention to me and the road.

I also found a new game, which I am sure most cyclists will love. There is one of those speed sensors that flash the speed of the vehicle on a LED as you approach it, in a 30mph zone in Long Ashton. I got it up to 28 today, if I ride in on Friday I will really go for it and try and hit 30. As Maltese Mum would say "all men are the same-childish!"

Charlie stats here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26638401
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26638417

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

See - I knew you couldn't be riding completely sensibly...*grin*