Sunday 17 January 2010

Back in the Saddle

For almost two whole weeks the country has been gripped. No, I'm not talking about Celebrity Big Brother, but ICE. Great big lumps of it lying, condensing and spreading like a cyclist's worst nightmare, all over the roads of Somerset. So for two whole weeks there has been no riding, no sprinting down the Clewer road, no kicking on up Cheddar gorge, and no bowling along to Puxton.

On Friday I could barely contain my glee as the thermometer nudged into positive figures, and my excitement knew no bounds as it hit balmy 10 degrees yesterday morning. An impromptu ride was already planned for Sunday, but I couldn't wait, so had to go and do a 38 mile loop around Puxton, Sand Bay, Weston and Brent Knoll.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22583250

A great ride, it was fantastic to be out in the fresh air again after two weeks cooped up indoors. Not too taxing, hills are going to have to wait for some specific sessions.

Today we went out as the ACG, and again, it was like 7 hungry animals being let off the leash with a plate of food at the end of the road. At different times every one of us was severing and digesting the bit, never mind the chomping, and despite a tough headwind at times on the way back, it was pretty fast considering we have not really ridden for a while. JT had been up last night, as had KG, and I'll share a secret I have discovered-sleep and good food are wonderfully restorative compared to a night on the lash.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/22583168

Again pretty fast times, and I'm pleased to say I won the points jersey even if KG snuck up on the final stretch to pinch the General Classment (as Sean Kelly would say).

The real point of this post is the session I went to on Friday, not booze, but actual training. Having a training-related job means I'm often the last one to seek it out for myself, and I nearly didn't go. But really glad I did, it was all about goals you see. With the help of a really good crowd, I was coached towards achieving one of my goals for the year-being organised in my training and then achieving the targets that I have set for myself.

A conversation I had been unconsciously putting off, got done this week, solely as a result of that training day. I have always been pretty good at goal setting, but have allowed it to drift for a couple of years.

So thank you to MG, I am pleased to report that stage one is completed, and things are moving in the right direction, more to follow!

Chapeau mes amies to you today, the best day out on a bike in ages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only reason u claimed a jersey is cos u said u weren't racing, so I chilled my way in...and u cruised past at the end. No fair!
Either race...or don't! *grin*