Saturday 7 November 2009

I really must get new tyres

I went out with the Axbridge Cycling Group today, a good turnout considering the very damp and coldish conditions, five of us in total.

For some reason that no-one really can explain we ended up heading up Cheddar gorge, just as the first deluge set in. Unfortunately, it was at this point that KG discovered only a few of his gears worked-the high ones too. One by one we struggled up to the top, and battled through more rain, lots of cack on the roads, and headed for the delightful Rocky Mountain cafe above Crosscombe.

KG had struggled and was on the point of going home so I gave him one of my energy gels, a gooey syrup packed full of calories; closely followed by a half pack of jelly babies to take the taste away.

It's a sign of the encroaching winter that this was the first time we sat in to eat our cakes, bacon sandwiches and inside the cafe, chatting away about wheels, Christmas and rides to come. I hate the Winter, especially the lack of light. I normally get a boost from doing lots of exercise, but I'm feeling a bit jaded at the moment, I think I have cycled more than ever before and I could do with a bit of time off the bike.

Still, I drew on the banter and the camaraderie, which was especially good today I thought. Still it was pretty chilly back outside the cafe, so I pedalled like crazy to warm up, down into Wells. Successfully avoiding the Saturday shoppers in cars, we wended our way back via Burcott, Fenney Castle and Mudgley Hill, to loud complaints from KG.

By the time we reached the edge of Wedmore JT and I had hit the front, and I had to work very hard to stay on her wheel as she bombed over the flat lands of Clewer and into Cheddar. Where the Cheddar half marathon was taking place, and I'm not sure all of the runners will have had a pleasant day, but fair play to them for having a go.

Back into Axbridge I hit the fullest power I could muster and dreamed I was Cav, before cycling home, washing the bike and me, and taking the former to the Cheddar bikestore for a service. I took me to Sainsbury's where who should I bump into but JT and family in the crisps aisle-looking for healthy options no doubt.

I didn't take Charlie today, he needs a rest too, but my total mileage was 43.79 miles, average 14.6 mph, max 38.4. Quite slow because the hills were just too slippy to go down fast. Which is where I started because by the time I see my bike again, it should have two of the grippiest tyres in the world on it, so Winter, here we come!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Twiglets are healthy, right? Well, I couldn't have my carrot cake so I had to have something! *grin*.