Sunday 2 January 2011

Got to promise not to stop when I say when

Happy new year to you, wherever you are in the world.

At the moment of midnight on New Year's Day, all was definitely not quiet for me, Mrs Mendip Rouleur and Junior Mendip Rouleur. We were underneath the Eiffel Tower, watching the crackling, sparkling lights and soaking up the atmosphere of the crowds and the impromptu fireworks. Paris rarely has official fireworks on NYD, probably frowned on somewhat, doesn't quite fit the chic culture, and it would require too much protocol. But locals let them off anyway, usually dangerously, of which I am firmly in favour.

We had a fairly hectic four days, all the usual sights and activities for a city-break, but I enjoyed three things the most, from sublime (the Musee d'Orsay of course) to the prosaic (the bread, can any nation be better at bread-making than the French?) to the ridiculous (I am talking about the final corner in the Tour on the Place de la Concorde-blimey, how there aren't more pile-ups I will never know).

So the New cycling year started today. Skip and I decided to make it a late start, 11AM no less. Both of us had been carbo-loading last night, she with her extended New year gathering of the clans, me because I couldn't cane it for NY Eve because I had to drive home from the airport yesterday, so made up for lost time. It was also Skip's first time on a bike for three weeks, and it's true, you never forget how to ride. But I think she had a bit, no a lot, more sauce than me, a few too many tabs, and a lot less sleep.

We did the predictable thing and headed for Glastonbury. I think I have just about got used to the green stuff everywhere now, after weeks of snow and ice on the fields, the grass makes such a welcome sight. Not as welcome as ice-free roads and occasional dry tarmac, and almost tolerable temperatures.

We had our coffee and (me only) ginger cake, outside the cafe, and were suitably rewarded by the arrival of four gunning motorbikes, Harleys and the like, driven with magnificent aplomb by leather-clad bikers. With the usual purple and green hues of the hippies, our lycra, and the bemused tourists it all made for an eclectic mix.

On the way home we looped around Street to warm up, before deciding to come straight back. We did do a fair amount of chatting today, it was nice to get out in the fresh air and push the body into life, I've been cooped up for everlong. It's only January 2nd after all, and plenty of time to go before our events. We are both going to have to start doing a few more hills again. We have both got places in the Dragon Ride, which sold out in 18 hours, showing how the MAMIL trend is not slowing down. Interesting times I think. Despite feeling like we were ambling, we still made pretty good time, and I rounded the mileage up to 41 miles by looping round Winscombe and up my eponymous hill.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/61570046

No comments: